HOTLINES: +2348100070067 +2349138595298
Studying in the UK I – Top 3 Universities to consider.
Studying abroad can be one of the most exciting adventures in a person’s life.Today, we’re going to help you pick the best university and talk about three famous universities in the UK for international students.
The United Kingdom has long been a favored destination for international students. Why? Well, there are several reasons. First, the UK boasts a rich history, incredible culture, and some of the world’s top-ranked universities.
Choosing the Right University in the UK
The UK is home to many esteemed universities, and each one has its own unique charm. For instance, Sheffield Hallam University is known for its top-notch programs, while Swansea University offers a splendid coastal setting. Nottingham Trent University is another fantastic choice, nestled in the heart of England.
If you’re on a tight budget, you’ll be pleased to know that the UK has some affordable options. Let’s take a look at 3 of the most popular destinations for international students.
- Sheffield Hallam University:
Sheffield Hallam University is one of the UK’s largest and most diverse universities: a community of around 37,000 students, 4,500 staff and 295,000 alumni around the globe.
a. Academic Programs:
Sheffield Hallam University provides approximately 212 undergraduate courses for international students who want to study there. To see the complete list of these programs, please click here.
b. Admission Requirements:
Admission requirements for this university varies per program but here are the entry requirements for international students looking to enroll in undergraduate programs at this university:
- You should have good grades in your A-levels or the International Baccalaureate (IB). Check our course pages for the specific UCAS tariff requirements.
- If you have a West African Senior School Certificate, you may be eligible for a foundation program.
- If you completed a NCUK International Foundation Year (IFY), you might be considered for year one of an undergraduate program.
- Students with a Nigerian Certificate of Education could be admitted to Level 4 undergraduate programs.
- If you’ve finished the first year of a Nigerian Bachelor’s degree, you could also be admitted to Level 4 undergraduate programs.
- If you don’t meet the academic and English language requirements for direct entry into an undergraduate program, you can explore the International Foundation Program in Art, Design and Media, Business, Law and Social Sciences, or Science, Technology, Engineering, and Maths. Upon successful completion, you can continue with your chosen degree.
- For advanced entry into year two or year three of an undergraduate program, applicants with a Nigerian Higher National Diploma (HND) will be considered.
Postgraduate Taught Programs (Masters)
When applying for postgraduate taught programs, the admission criteria are as follows:
- A primary degree or a professional qualification acknowledged as being on par with a degree.
- An HND or a higher education diploma coupled with substantial work experience in a relevant field.
- Successful completion of an approved pre-masters course.
Postgraduate Research Programs (MPhil/PhD)
For entry into postgraduate research programs (MPhil/PhD), the qualifications required are:
- A master’s degree obtained from a recognized university.
English Language Requirements.
For Nigerian applicants, the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) in English language with a minimum score of C6 is accepted as evidence of English language proficiency in place of IELTS 6.0 (5.5 in all skills). For IELTS 6.5 (6.0 in all skills) or higher, a WAEC/WASSCE B3 or higher is required.
Click here for more information on the entry requirements for this university.
Tuition and Fees
Here’s a breakdown of the 2023-24 tuition fees for international students:
Pre-sessional English: £1,650 – £4,950.
International Foundation: £11,970 – £14,370.
Undergraduate: £15,860 per year.
Placement year: £1,500 – £2,000 (varies).
Postgraduate: £16,385 – £18,820 for the whole course.
MBA: £18,820 for the whole course.
Distance learning: Varies by course.
Please note that tuition fees are fixed for your entire course if it’s two years or longer. Scholarships are also available for international students
Click here for more information on the tuition and fees for this university.
International Student Support.
Here’s what you can expect from International Student Support:
- As an international student, you can get free guidance on fees and enrollment for your application process.
- You also get pre-Arrival and Visa Info where you are guided on visas and what to expect before arriving in the UK.
- Free Airport Pick-Up and Orientation: Services for a smooth arrival and campus orientation.
- There are accommodation for International Students
- Navigating the Campus and City: Directions for finding your way.
Click here for more information on support for international students.
- Swansea University.
Swansea University is a research-oriented university that has been making a positive impact since 1920. The university’s community is all about exploring and discovering new things, and it provides a great balance between excellent teaching and research, along with a fantastic quality of life.
a. Academic Programs.
Swansea University offers various programs for international students, including subjects like Accounting, Computer Science, Medical Sciences, and Human Resource Management. They have a wide range of degree options for all students. You can view all the undergraduate courses here and the postgraduate courses here.
b. Admission Requirements:
– To be eligible for the foundation program, you need a high grade in your WAEC Senior School Leaving Certificate (WASSCE) and a minimum of C6 in WAEC English.
– For undergraduate programs, you should have a National Diploma with Lower Credit and a grade of at least C6 in WAEC WASSCE English or an equivalent qualification.
– To qualify for postgraduate programs, you must have a Bachelor’s Degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognized university or college of higher education with a minimum of a 2.2 class or a GPA of 2.5. You also need to have at least a C6 in WAEC WASSCE English or an equivalent qualification.
c. Tuition and Fees
The tuition fees you’ll be charged are contingent on your selected course. For undergraduate programs, tuition begins at 9000 pounds, but it’s important to recognize that this rate is not universal and can fluctuate for certain courses. To see a comprehensive list of undergraduate courses and their corresponding fees, you can click here.
In the case of postgraduate taught courses, the fees commence at 8650 pounds. For additional details, you can click here.
3. Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University (NTU) is a big and important place for education with over 40,000 students and staff at five different campuses. It’s one of the largest and most influential universities in the country. NTU is all about making a positive difference, and they’ve won many awards for their research, energy, and new ideas.
NTU has a bunch of different courses for international students. You can see some of them here.
The United Kingdom has always been a favorite choice for international students, and there are compelling reasons for that. It’s a place where your academic journey can truly transform.
In this blog post, we’ve explored three universities and important factors to consider before making your study plans. This is the start of an ongoing series, and in upcoming posts, we’ll delve into more aspects of studying in the UK.
If you’re considering studying in the UK or any other country, we’ve got you covered. We provide solutions to simplify the entire process, boasting an impressive 99 percent approval rate for study visas. We’ve assisted many Nigerian students in achieving their dreams of studying abroad. Ready to discuss your plans? Click here to schedule a call with us.